At the beginning of May, a poisoning attack on wild animals took place in Stroheim (district Eferding, Upper Austria). Several poisoned heads of field hares and poisoned chickens were laid on the edge of a gravel pit. A red kite died. As the present investigations show, the plant protection product carbofuran was used.
“We now have the sad result of the poisoning case in Stroheim,” says Matthias Schmidt, an expert on birds of prey at BirdLife Austria. The research institute for wild animal science and ecology and the toxicological institute of the Ludwigs-Maximillians University found the plant protection agent Carbofuran in prepared hat heads and chickens, whereby at least a red kite and a raven crow were poisoned. Schmidt: “Other undetected victims are likely, since Carbofuran is highly toxic, but the animals – depending on the dose – can still travel further distances. The animals suffer a fatal death, which can take several hours. The environmental criminal authority is working on this case.
Source: Birdlife Austria