IMPEL-ESIX is real-time communication tool for information exchange and cooperation in the area of nature conservation issues between enforcement officials, national authorities and (inter)national and regional organisations of stakeholders.
Objectives of the tool
- Share best practices relevant for the enforcement chain and provide training materials, identification guides and other useful information for stakeholders and enforcement agencies;
- Exchange information on trends, seizures and on-going poaching activities regarding birds;
- Facilitate assistance from experts from (inter)national organisations, national authorities and experienced enforcement officials facilitate cooperation between enforcement, National authorities and (inter)national organizations and other stakeholders;
- Collect seizure data of EU Bird directive species, in order to give a better view on the nature and extent of this type of crime.
All information relevant to protect birds coverd by the EU Bird Directive is part of the scope of the information exchange system. In addition, information related to the EU Timber regulation, the Habitat directive and Natura 2000 can will be considered part of this system at a later stage
Controlled e-mail network
The secured electronic mailing system allows quick and efficient sharing of information about trends, seizures, experiences, expertise and identification between enforcement officials. The system also gives the opportunity to other stakeholders to share information about ongoing illegal matters, expertise, seizure news, scientific articles and other relevant information with enforcement officials.
The major benefits of the mailing system is to stimulate a level of (inter)national information exchange and co-operation that otherwise would not take place. It gives stakeholders the opportunity to share information with enforcement authorities. Several stakeholders are “the eyes and ears” in areas where illegal activities take place. Using the mailing system, this kind of information can be shared real-time. This rapid and direct way of sharing information can improve the effect and success of enforcement actions.
Two user guides have been developed to explain in further detail to the different user groups how the tool works:
- User guide for Stakeholders and Users of the public site
- User guide for Law Enforcement Official of the protected site
IMPEL-ESIX cooperates with all kind of enforcement bodies, NGO’s and governmental officials in EU MS and neighboring countries . These partner are all players in the field of the fight against illegal killing and catching of birds or any other green issue.